My name is Jodie and I'm a graduate student in writing at Johns Hopkins University. I'm working on a story about smokeless use. Is anybody willing to share their experiences with me? Please see a basic list of questions; let me know if you're open to answering any of these.
I grew up in a small, rural town where smokeless (dip) was pretty common. I don't live there anymore, though, so I'm having a harder time finding people to interview. Thanks for letting me join this community!
- Do you still dip?
No: when did you stop? Why did you stop? (health, image, etc?)
Yes/occassionally: how often? With whom? why?
- When did you start? What age? What context?
- Where do you live (urban/ rural/ south, etc)
- When did you last do it? Context.
Why? Addicted to nicotine? Ritual?
- How many of your peers do it? Who are they? (backgrounds)?
- Other tobacco use? Cigar? Cigarette? Was this first tobacco product use? Did it make you more likely to try others? Do you perceive it as less harmful?
- Ritual: take me through the ritual. Do you thump it? How much do you take out? Do you get your spitting cup out first? What brand? Who else does it? How often do you do it?
- For current users: Do others care about your use? Is there a push to quit?